Monday, January 26, 2009

Dear Barack Obama, Final Edit

Dear Barack Obama,
Congratulations on becoming the 44th president of the United States. It must have been a truly difficult journey. However, your journey is nowhere near the end. In fact, it is just beginning. Many people have a great amount of expectations for you, our new president. There are many issues that the citizens of the United States want you to focus on. Some want you to focus on Iraq, some aren’t satisfied with the current state of the economy and there are many more who want you to focus on entirely different issues. I am sorry to say that I have an issue for you to focus on as well. However, this is not a conventional issue. I don’t have any requests concerning education, health care, the economy or Iraq. The issue that I would like you to focus on is the matter of your success.
By becoming the first African-American president, you have changed history. You have disproved a lot of negative beliefs about African-Americans. I feel proud to know that it is possible for anyone of my race to achieve such a great position. I am deeply honored to have seen such an occasion in my life time. However, I know that I don’t want that to be the only reason why we should remember you. There have been many presidents and not all of them have been memorable. To this day, people do not speak of Martin Van Buren, the 8th president. On the other hand, people will always remember the 16th president, Abraham Lincoln, not because of his origin, his family or his race, but because of his actions. I want to be able to remember you because you were a great president. People shouldn’t remember you just because the 43 presidents that came before you were not African-Americans, they should remember you for what you did.
It seems that it would be difficult enough to be president, let alone the first African-American president. You have my full support and the support of many others as well. I hope that you make as many people as possible happy. Try to deal with the issues as best you can. Never give up and keep going forward. You have come into office at a difficult time, so I won’t try to push you and I pray that no one else does either. That is why I only want you to succeed.
Your success would do more than prove your worth as a president. It would send a strong message to so many people. You are, and I hope you will continue to be, a powerful source of inspiration to so many people. You have shown them that background does not determine where we go in life. Now, we can be sure that anyone can become anything, if they try.
Good luck Mr. Obama. Many are watching and many are waiting, there are problems that need solving and I know that you have the answers. Keep pushing forward, do your best and I’m sure that you will become one of the best presidents that this country has ever seen.
Wishing you the best of luck
- Omar Winstead

No comments: