Sunday, September 28, 2008

Family (Final-Draft)

Family. There are all kinds of families. There are “whole” families with a mother, father and of course, children. There are extended families with many other relatives such as uncles, aunts, grand-mothers and grand-fathers. Mine is a simple one, me, my mother and my brother. Despite the many different kinds of families, there will always be one thing that they share in common. They are all going to have their moments.
My mother, my brother and I have had our moments. It was never easy dealing with my brother’s teenage mischief and my mother‘s… well, you should understand the problems with mothers. Enough said. What was even more frustrating was when my mom’s motherliness interfered with my brother’s teenage life, or vice versa. It was very annoying to deal with their conflict on a nearly daily basis. If I was willing to, recalling those days would be enough to generate intense emotions, mostly anger. However, I’d rather not talk about the specifics of what problems there were between us and why.
Despite the tension and conflict, there was never any doubt that they both loved me. As for me, I loved them as well, sometimes. They both mean a great deal to me and that will never change. Even when they didn’t exactly get along with each other I never stopped caring about them. It saddened me when my brother had to leave home and I’ll be sad when it’s time to leave my mother. We’ve been through a lot together and I will never forget how strong they were in those hard times. It would deeply sadden me if I had to lose either one of them.
Some time ago my brother told me that he was in a rather serious car accident. He wasn’t hurt too badly from the way he sounded, but knowing him if he was injured badly, he wouldn’t have told me. I have met people who have lost someone very close to them and for me it has always been a scary thought. I have never lost anyone who meant a great deal to me and when he told me about his accident I realized that it could happen at any moment. Not too long after that I had a dream that my mother and my brother had died.
Normally, that kind of dream wouldn’t have frightened me as much as it did. However, when paired with the news of my brother’s accident, it became a very terrifying nightmare. Looking back it’s actually a little pathetic, to cry over THOUGHT of losing a loved one, when so many people have felt the sadness of losing someone they care for deeply. I don’t know why I cried to be honest; I knew it was just a dream. It’s just that my mother and brother are the two people in this world that I care about the most. When I think about losing either one of them, it shakes me to my very core. Knowing what we have been through together and knowing that there were so many times that I needed them, I asked myself “If I lost one of them were would my strength come from?” I owe them so much and I work hard not only for myself, but for them as well. They give me inspiration and the will to succeed.

No comments: